Green bean casserole is one of those go-to, must-have side dishes at many Thanksgiving dinners. When talking with my mom (and consultant!) about these recipes, I suggested a re-do of this classic dish, and she responded, "Green bean casserole isn't that good anyway." And it's totally true! It's OKAY, but it certainly could use a makeover!The following recipe is the makeover I gave it. It has fresh ingredients (no canned soup), a delicious crunchy topping, and a creamy sauce. It was just as good reheated the next day, too! I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
For creamy sauce:
- Cooking spray
- box of sliced mushrooms
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup water
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For crunchy topping:
- 3 small onions, thinly sliced into circles
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray large baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add beans along with a pinch of salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes or until al dente. Green beans should be firm and not too soft. Drain and add a few cups of ice to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on medium high and add tsp olive oil. Add onions and cook until golden brown/almost charred, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Return skillet to heat, spray with cooking spray and add mushrooms. Cook until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour. Stir enough to coat the mushrooms. Slowly pour almond milk and whisk while pouring, until no lumps are left. Add water, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and whisk again. Bring to a boil and let simmer to thicken, for about 3-4 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, add breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and water to a bowl with onions and mix with your hands until crumbs appear.
- Drain green beans, add the sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer green beans to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve warm.