Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's are all behind us now (sniff), and many of us are now saying, "Why didn't I exhibit a bit more self-control??" But you know what? What's done is done and there is no sense in getting upset about the past when we have this big, open, and exciting year waiting for us to knock our new goals out of the park!
I'm going to share a few SIMPLE things you can do to start reining in your nutrition and leaving any not-so-great health habits back in 2016 where they belong!
- Don't go cold turkey. If you've been eating whatever you want for 6 weeks, existing on salads alone is going to be BRUTAL! That kind of solution is a good set up for an early failure in achieving your goals. Instead, start a bit slower, maybe eliminating one thing at a time. If pop has crept back into your diet for example, start with that. Give yourself a week to detox from soda, and then you can work on the pastries you're eating for breakfast, or whatever the case may be. Remember, you are always striving for solutions you can continue LONG TERM, so you need to create a solid foundation.
- Water Water Water Water Water Water. Water is the cheapest and easiest way to flush the toxins and therefore, cravings, out of your system. Aim for 1/2 your weight in oz. each day, plus more if you are getting tough workouts in. Water will help you lose weight immediately, because when you are dehydrated, your body holds on to extra water (water weight). Plus, it will give your skin a healthy glow, too!
- Make a Plan. I don't just mean in your head, I mean a written plan. Write down your workouts, including the times. Write down your meals, including snacks if you need to. Your success is only as strong as your plan, so spend some time TODAY making a plan for the rest of the week if you don't already have one.
- Find a partner. Having someone to check in with, workout with, stay accountable to, boy that makes the difference! Even if it's just by text, or online, knowing that someone is watching what you're doing is a HUGE motivating factor. I can help with this! I offer coaching every month for clients who want a little or a lot of help with their health and fitness. If you need a partner, or a program, or advice, please connect with me so I can help you get started!
- Be kind to yourself. Even if you are not where you want to be with your health and fitness goals, self-hatred never did anyone any good. Be kind and love yourself no matter where you are today. And then love yourself enough to make the changes you need to make <3