Every year at this time there is A LOT of discussion about New Year's Resolutions, so I thought I'd add my two cents on the subject.
I am a BIG FAN of New Year's resolutions, but not because it's a new year. Because it provides an opportunity to hope and dream and improve ourselves and our lives. I think any chance to do that is...well...AWESOME! And you may not know this about me, but goal setting is sort of my thing. I LOVE doing it and have found a few things that make the process and the results more successful. Here are a few tips:
- Set the mood. Take yourself on a date to a coffee shop with a new journal or calendar, play some music, and enjoy time with yourself. Or, have an at-home date with your partner to goal set together in front of the fire. Or, well, you get the idea. Just plan some time where you can enjoy your goal setting--make it a "thing."
- Break your goals into categories. These are the ones I use: Health, Relationships, Finances, Faith, and Business/Career. Of course you can add or subtract if needed.
- For each category, write 2-4 statements in the positive. For example: "I will earn $5,000 per month." Or, "I will spend more one-on-one time with each of my children." Then, next to each of these statements, write some action items that would get you to that goal. These are your metrics. Your metrics are action items that YOU control.
- Hang up your goals where you see them regularly. Writing them down is the first way that they become REAL, the second is by seeing them frequently!
- Revisit your goals monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and at the end of the year. Make adjustments as needed.
If one of your New Year's goals is to improve your health and fitness, I'd love to help! Check out my BRAND NEW Family Wellness Program. This program will help you lose weight, create beautiful muscle tone and definition, and create life-long health habits. We begin on January 9th! Read more about it here.
Happy New Year, Friends!