Read Amanda's Story!
Hi! Happy Almost Summer :) Today, I wanted to lay out some of the differences between two of my fitness programs, so that you can determine which of these aligns the most closely with your goals.
4-Week Slim Down
Let's start with the program that is based off of the formula that changed my life in terms of health and wellness: the 4-Week Slim Down. This program teaches the 80/20 rule to eating, which means that we strive to eat clean and healthy 80% of the time and relax 20% of the time. We carefully plan our treats so that we can enjoy them guilt free. This type of eating is sustainable FOREVER and is a great place to start when beginning, or getting back into, your fitness journey.
In the 4WSD, I will also be giving you daily workouts that are a mix of strength training and cardio, as well as some mind and body workouts for rest days. You will be given my cookbook, which contains recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. We will work on creating a meal plan that works for you and your family.
In addition to the workouts, the recipes, and the strategy, I will be available each day to keep you accountable to your goals via a private Facebook group. This accountability is KEY to achieving your goals.
I think the 4WSD is a great program for anyone who wants some extra support and accountability with their health and fitness, but I think it's PERFECT for those people who don't know where to start. It will create a solid foundation that you can build on as you reach your goals.
The next round of the 4-Week Slim Down starts on Monday, May 22nd and it is on Summer Sale for $99. That price includes everything listed above.
Carb Cycling and Intermittent Fasting 101
The second program that I offer on a regular basis is called Carb Cycling and Intermittent Fasting 101. It is a 3-week program that teaches you how to use carbs for GAINS, including improved muscle tone, fat loss, and increased energy. We alternate between days of high fats/low carbs and higher carbs lower fats to keep our metabolisms operating at a high fat-burning level.
We also add intermittent fasting into week 2 for an amazing combination full of many health benefits, including better sleep, healing of the gut, regulation of hormones and mood improvement. The ladies in my current carb cycling/intermittent fasting group are LOVING how their clothes fit and how they feel, and we are only two weeks in!
This program is also for everyone, but clients who will be most successful at it already have a good fitness routine going. They have a baseline of fitness and want to tighten up some areas in their routine.
Included in this program is the manual, meal ideas and suggestions, two live trainings, and daily accountability and support. The next round of this program will begin on June 19th.
I also offer 1-on-1 coaching if you are looking for more of a personalized approach to your fitness goals. Click here to register for that service.
I want to help YOU reach your health and fitness goals so that you feel more confident in your skin! If you have questions for me regarding your goals and how we can best reach them, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hey Guys! I have a bunch of different advice floating around in my big brain today, so instead of sorting through it, I'm going to blog a sort of stream of consciousness with advice. I'd love your feedback if this is too hard to read or if you enjoy the randomness, ha!
Here are some tips for feeling and looking your best. These are things that I not only do, but advise my clients to do, as well:
- Go to bed hungry
When you stop eating after dinner and don't eat again until the next morning (or lunch if you're fasting), you allow your body's digestion system to rest. And rest is good for our bodies. This rest tells your body to tap into its fat stores. Now, you shouldn't be so hungry that you wake in the middle of the night, that's no fun. But being a bit hungry at bedtime is a good thing. And guys, you're going to sleep SO soundly! Try it!
- Drink your ACV
Apple cider vinegar is an amazing addition to your health routine. Make sure you buy the "Braggs Brand" because it contains The Mother, which is a community of digestive enzymes that helps improve your gut health, in addition to about a million other benefits. I drink it more frequently when I think I might be getting sick and it helps me kick it faster. It aids in weight loss, it's an appetite suppressant, it improves skin, and the list goes on and on. Here is a video I recorded about it about 6 months ago with my favorite "recipe."
- Be observant
You are the only expert on your body. Doctors, trainers, coaches, etc. don't know more about YOUR body than you do. Take careful and observant inventory on how you feel when you eat certain foods, calorie levels, during and post workouts, when you wake up, when you go to bed. Be a scientist when it comes to learning about your body and then you can take what you know and use it to make you better.
- Fuel your workouts
When you exercise, you should be eating to fuel them so that you 1) feel your best, and 2) get the most benefit from them. I like to eat carbs directly after my more intense workouts because my body will burn them faster. I also like to have a clean source of protein following my workouts to help repair my muscles. Working out fasted is another strategy that I frequently use because I love the energy I have, and doing this allows my body to burn body fat faster because it's not busy burning the food I just ate.
- Rest days are important
Overtraining is a real, actual problem. You must have a rest day or two or three each week to allow your body to repair. It's actually during the REST that our muscles grow, not during the workouts. Listen to your body and schedule rest days as needed, or schedule them in advance. I like to schedule them, and then adjust as necessary if I need to make changes.
- Sleep plentifully
Just like our bodies need rest days, we also need plenty of sleep to repair those muscles. Think of your body like a machine. It can't work as well if it never gets turned off, right? When you're eating right and getting the proper amount of exercise, sleep will be good! So treat your sleep like a workout: schedule your bedtime and wakeup time and stick to them!
- Try intermittent fasting
IF is such a great strategy that will improve all areas of your health and fitness, and it's a pretty easy strategy to implement. Not only will it help you burn more fat, but it will allow your body to reset and rest during your fasting window. Intermittent fasting is not calorie restriction; instead, it just reduces your window of eating so that you are only eating for an 8 hour (or less) window of time. Honestly, it simplifies the day! You'll sleep better, have more energy, and burn more fat without changing your diet. Here is a video I recorded about IF.
- Plan ahead
No matter where I'm at in my fitness journey, one thing is always true: planning ahead makes everything easier. Being good at making a plan, and adding that to your weekly agenda, gets easier with time and practice. But it's always something that you have to make time for. Even 4 years in to this lifestyle I still make time to write out our meals, create our grocery list, and plan my workouts. If you want to improve your health and fitness, you've got to give it your attention.
- Enjoy your treats
Life is too short not to enjoy treats occasionally! I've spent a lot of time studying treats and how best to enjoy them, and what I've found is that they taste better when they are limited, but not obsolete. Planning regular treats is good for your sanity and your mental resolve with your fitness goals. And planning ahead helps to prevent from binging and ruining progress. Plan your treats, enjoy them, and then move on.
Gatherings with friends and family are some of life's greatest blessings! They are a time to enjoy great company, great conversation, and most of the time, great food. But can we still enjoy parties and
get-togethers and STILL stay on track with our health and fitness goals?
Yes, absolutely we can, and we MUST
. Because life is just too short to spend much time worrying about getting off-track while you're with friends and family at special events. I have some ways to set yourself up for success when going to a socialevent, while still staying on par with your fitness and health goals. Let's dive in!
- When you have an event planned (a birthday party, the Superbowl, a day of shopping and wine drinking with friends, etc.), be SURE to get your workout in ahead of time. Many events serve alcohol and if you have a drink, you will find exercising later nearly impossible! It's just too hard to get motivated after being super relaxed. So plan for success and get that workout done BEFORE your event. This goes for vacations, too. Get your workout in early so that you don't have to think about it for the rest of the day! That calorie burn will work for you all day long, even when you're having a cocktail by the pool, or a cupcake at a birthday party.
- If you're going to a gathering where everyone is asked to bring food, this is your chance to bring a healthy dish to share! I think of this as my time to shine and show my friends and family that healthy can be delicious 😃 I make sure to bring a tried and true favorite clean recipe, like my Shakeology cookies, clean Buffalo Chicken Dip, or my Fiesta Dip. Not only does this encourage my loved ones to eat a bit healthier, but it helps ME because I know that there is going to be at least one dish that I can enjoy guilt-free at the party.
16 oz Greek yogurt
packet of Fiesta ranch seasoning
small can diced black olives
small can diced chiles
1/2 cup colby jack shredded cheese
Mix together and serve with blue tortilla chips and veggies
- Bring your own water and drink up before the event. I find that if I don't bring my own water to events, I sometimes find myself not being able to easily get water and then I end up drinking something I wouldn't normally choose. When I come with a water bottle in hand then I know I have a great option throughout the event. And don't forget to stay hydrated leading up to your gathering. Being hydrated helps keep you feeling full so you won't overeat, AND if you end up having a few drinks, it can help you avoid a nasty hangover later. Plus, I always find that if I'm holding a water, I have fewer hands to hold a huge plate of food!
- Your mental game is super important for navigating social events when it comes to food. Think of the event/gathering/party as one spot in your day. When it's over, it's over. There is no need to get off track BEFORE the event, and there is no need to go crazy AFTER the event. It's one part of your day. You might have some treats while you're there, but it does not needto leak into the rest of your day. The same goes for vacation. Pick a meal when you will allow yourself some fun treats, but then isolate them to that meal. One treat meal won't cause you to lose progress with your goals, but a whole week of treats will!
- Know your triggers and avoid them like the plague! Ha! For example, if I have a pop at a party I crave fast food. And the sugar in pop makes me crave more sugar. And before you know it, that stupid pop just cost me 800 calories in foods that provide no nutritional value. Oops! My husband's trigger is ice cream. Once he starts eating it, it's hard for him to stop. So he avoids ice cream as much as possible. Being aware of your triggers gives you the power to avoid them and make better choices.
Guys, I want you to enjoy family gatherings without stressing over the choices you'll need to make. With a little preparation and practice, you will be able to find that social events don't have to ruin your progress, and can actually fit into your healthy lifestyle easily 😃
Hi Ladies! I was able to head out of town last weekend and I got some new workout digs, and that inspired me to share my FAVORITE workout apparel by brand and type with you. I think feeling cute in your workout clothing is SO important, and before you think I'm just being shallow, hear me out. Have you heard the phrase "dress for success"? Well, it's totally the same in fitness. If I throw on an old t-shirt and some baggy sweatpants I am MUCH less motivated to give my full effort in my workout, or even complete a workout, than if I have on a fitted outfit that I'm confident in. Think about how you feel when you give a presentation; aren't you much more confident when you dress up a bit? I know I am. So that you have a point of reference, my workout clothes need to work for strength training, mind-body workouts (i.e. yoga), and cardio too. So I have a little bit of everything when it comes to fit, coverage, and breathability. Here are some of my favorites:
- Victoria's Secret Sport: I LOVE their sports bras. You can get moderate to full coverage, and they go anywhere from lightly lined (my personal fav) to padded. There are loads of fun patterns and strap arrangements. They also have fun tank tops with cutesy sayings like "Crunch before brunch" or "I'll meet you at the barbells." And for lighter impact workouts, their pants are super cute too! With their frequent sales you can get an entirenew outfit (pants, shirt, and sportsbra) for around $50! That's a steal!
- Nike: Well, their shoes are just awesome, but we already know that. I'm also a big fan of the pro shorts and capris by Nike. They are thin, so you don't get too hot, but not so thin that cellulite shows, haha. They hold you in and pair really nicely with a looser fitting top. Nike also has some great V sports bras that are lightly lined, and offer full coverage for the smaller chested girls. These work well for shirts that are a bit lower in front.
- LuLuLemon: Ahhhh, to shop at LuLu is an experience! I only have a few things from LuLu, but they are my favorite pieces of workout apparel. They are SUPER expensive, but have been worth EVERY penny. The quality is superb and they are designed to perform AND make us look good! My favorite thing to buy there are the workout pants. They hold you in, let you breathe, and you can conquer the world in these pants. Every pair I've bought from their becomes my new BFF.
- Reebok: I love their leggings! The patterns are super fun and the material is smooth and silky. My graffiti leggings from Reebok get the most comments! I have a little trouble getting the sizing right at Reebok, though, as some things fit big and some things seem to fit super small (these would fit my 7 year old...?)
- Under Armour: I'm adding this one for my husband! This is his favorite brand for shirts, athletic shorts, and warm-up pants. But ladies, I love it too! I have a pair of UA shorts that have held up for years and are super flattering, as well as a few really cute and unique tank tops. They have upped their fashion game lately, and it's showing! But expect to spend $40-$60 on a pair of shorts or pants.
If you are starting a new fitness regimen this year, or just recommitting, do yourself a favor and buy a new outfit that you feel confident in when you hit the gym (or even your basement!). It really does help to dress the part. I'd love to hear some of your personal favorites, too!! Comment below and let me know what they are!
Create a LIFESTYLE full of health, fitness, and BALANCE
During my four years as an online health and fitness coach I've tried a lot of different approaches to healthy living. Through trial and error, I've discovered what my favorite strategies are and these are the ones I share with my clients. My approach is one of balance and simplicity so that we can sustain this lifestyle longterm. It has worked for me, and it has worked for 100's of my clients, as well.
When I work with clients, I teach how to eat clean and exercise in a way that will get them results. If you follow my lead, there is NO WAY you won't achieve results! But the thing I am most proud of when it comes to coaching clients is how I weave my love for treat meals and rest days into my program so that we can find that balance between being on point with our nutrition, while also being about to relax the reins a bit and enjoy wine, chocolate, and the occasional donut!
Another way I have created balance in my health and fitness is by bringing my family with me. I see so many people trying to get healthy on their own and it breaks my heart. Not only does having a partner or a coach help immensely in achieving your goals, but so does getting your family on board. And I have strategies for doing this, as well.
Registration is NOW OPEN for my 4-Week Slim Down Program, where I will help you lose weight and inches, create a balanced approach to nutrition and fitness, and bring your family along, too! I'm only taking 25 clients for this program!
Feeling and looking your best doesn't mean you have to give up every food you love and exercise for 2 hours a day. I promise. Take my hand and let me lead you to a healthy lifestyle you can be proud of AND enjoy!
P.S. If you bring a friend with you, ask me how you can save 50% off of your registration fee!
My kids only eat 100% clean and healthy foods, always get 8 servings of veggies, 5 servings of fruits, and have very limited sweets. Just kidding!! Did I get your attention? Guys, I want you to know and understand that my kids are very healthy little beings, but they have far from perfect nutrition! They eat McD's like many children, they are obsessed with candy, and they would exist on "kid food" if I let them. But there are a few things I do to ensure that they are getting some of the nutrients they need.
Here are a few tips:
- Have a kid-accessible snack basket. We definitely still have "snack times", as they are little and if their snacking isn't regulated they would never be hungry for a meal. But this basket contains Mom approved snacks for them. I love Z bars, Fiber bars are a favorite for my little one's constipation, goldfish, etc.
- Keep healthy choices visible. Fruits are readily accessible, as are veggies (cut up and washed, with dip), and yogurts (bottom shelf of the fridge).
- Keep junk food out of the house. I don't buy junk food for the most part. Only for special occasions like birthdays or parties. This includes pop (they love Sprite!), chips, candy bars. If that is in the house, we will all eat it!!
- Create a mealtime plan. If I make a meal that is "unfamiliar" or more geared towards adults one night, then the next evening I will make sure to make something I know they will eat. I require the kids to try the meal I made, if they hate it, then they can eat their veggies of choice, fruit, and a yogurt. Sometimes I will make them a sandwich if I think the meal is way out of their comfort zone. But I don't make a habit of this.
- Cook with your kids. I cook with my kids daily so they take ownership of the kitchen and what we make. Some ideas for cooking with your kids are sorting veggie trays, mixing dips, cookies, muffins, sauces, casseroles, etc. Basically, any recipe where your kids can help stir and assemble.
- Hide those veggies! Muffins are an EASY way to get good things into your kids! Example: Pumpkin muffins with chia seeds, pumpkin, coconut oil, honey, oats, grass fed butter for more healthy fats. Shakeology chocolate bites: coconut oil, honey, peanut butter, Shakeology. Freeze in fun trays and eat like candy.
- Talk to your kids regularly about why healthy choices are better for them. Put an emphasis on how those foods make you and them FEEL vs unhealthy choices and junk foods.
If you are looking on more ways to create healthier habits for your family, Click this link for more information about my Family Wellness Program, where I teach you how to get fit and how to bring your family along. I am also offering private coaching, as well. To discuss private coaching, email me so we can set some goals for you!
I got a really special text yesterday and I want to share it because I think it will resonate with a lot of people, especially moms. "I just have to tell you that every year I pray and ask God for a word to focus on throughout my year. This year I got the word 'balance'. Then I signed up for coaching with you and keep hearing you say the word. Coincidence?! I'm accepting it as serendipitous and I'm excited for how much balance I've found in my life just in the past week! Excited for more! And thanks for your help in getting me to a more balanced place in my life in regards to health, nutrition, fitness, and overall wellness!"
Wow! Messages like this are simply the best.
I strive to live a balanced life, and it's a fundamental part of my coaching as well. I want my clients to be able to rock a swimsuit, feel their absolute best, look forward to healthy foods and exercise, and also be able to enjoy a piece of cake at a birthday party. Because life was meant to be LIVED and ENJOYED, and if you get super fit and healthy but cannot enjoy a piece of birthday cake once in awhile, well, that seems sad. And if cake isn't your thing, how about ice cream? My point is that balance trumps perfection, and that's what I teach my clients as well.
If you are looking for more balance in your life, I can help you, too! Click this link for more information about my Family Wellness Program, where I teach you how to get fit and how to bring your family along. I am also offering private coaching, as well. To discuss private coaching, email me so we can set some goals for you!
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's are all behind us now (sniff), and many of us are now saying, "Why didn't I exhibit a bit more self-control??" But you know what? What's done is done and there is no sense in getting upset about the past when we have this big, open, and exciting year waiting for us to knock our new goals out of the park!
I'm going to share a few SIMPLE things you can do to start reining in your nutrition and leaving any not-so-great health habits back in 2016 where they belong!
- Don't go cold turkey. If you've been eating whatever you want for 6 weeks, existing on salads alone is going to be BRUTAL! That kind of solution is a good set up for an early failure in achieving your goals. Instead, start a bit slower, maybe eliminating one thing at a time. If pop has crept back into your diet for example, start with that. Give yourself a week to detox from soda, and then you can work on the pastries you're eating for breakfast, or whatever the case may be. Remember, you are always striving for solutions you can continue LONG TERM, so you need to create a solid foundation.
- Water Water Water Water Water Water. Water is the cheapest and easiest way to flush the toxins and therefore, cravings, out of your system. Aim for 1/2 your weight in oz. each day, plus more if you are getting tough workouts in. Water will help you lose weight immediately, because when you are dehydrated, your body holds on to extra water (water weight). Plus, it will give your skin a healthy glow, too!
- Make a Plan. I don't just mean in your head, I mean a written plan. Write down your workouts, including the times. Write down your meals, including snacks if you need to. Your success is only as strong as your plan, so spend some time TODAY making a plan for the rest of the week if you don't already have one.
- Find a partner. Having someone to check in with, workout with, stay accountable to, boy that makes the difference! Even if it's just by text, or online, knowing that someone is watching what you're doing is a HUGE motivating factor. I can help with this! I offer coaching every month for clients who want a little or a lot of help with their health and fitness. If you need a partner, or a program, or advice, please connect with me so I can help you get started!
- Be kind to yourself. Even if you are not where you want to be with your health and fitness goals, self-hatred never did anyone any good. Be kind and love yourself no matter where you are today. And then love yourself enough to make the changes you need to make <3
Every year at this time there is A LOT of discussion about New Year's Resolutions, so I thought I'd add my two cents on the subject.
I am a BIG FAN of New Year's resolutions, but not because it's a new year. Because it provides an opportunity to hope and dream and improve ourselves and our lives. I think any chance to do that is...well...AWESOME! And you may not know this about me, but goal setting is sort of my thing. I LOVE doing it and have found a few things that make the process and the results more successful. Here are a few tips:
- Set the mood. Take yourself on a date to a coffee shop with a new journal or calendar, play some music, and enjoy time with yourself. Or, have an at-home date with your partner to goal set together in front of the fire. Or, well, you get the idea. Just plan some time where you can enjoy your goal setting--make it a "thing."
- Break your goals into categories. These are the ones I use: Health, Relationships, Finances, Faith, and Business/Career. Of course you can add or subtract if needed.
- For each category, write 2-4 statements in the positive. For example: "I will earn $5,000 per month." Or, "I will spend more one-on-one time with each of my children." Then, next to each of these statements, write some action items that would get you to that goal. These are your metrics. Your metrics are action items that YOU control.
- Hang up your goals where you see them regularly. Writing them down is the first way that they become REAL, the second is by seeing them frequently!
- Revisit your goals monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and at the end of the year. Make adjustments as needed.
If one of your New Year's goals is to improve your health and fitness, I'd love to help! Check out my BRAND NEW Family Wellness Program. This program will help you lose weight, create beautiful muscle tone and definition, and create life-long health habits. We begin on January 9th! Read more about it here.
Happy New Year, Friends!
Get fit and healthy in 2017 and bring your family with you!
Ladies, I have a very supportive husband who helps out SO MUCH around the house and with our children. He is amazing, truly. But let's be honest, even with a great helper, moms run the show. Getting kids where they need to be, organizing family schedules, shopping for clothes, food, and supplies, planning the meals, keeping our family active, etc. etc. etc. It's A LOT on our shoulders. And I know firsthand how our own health and wellness can take a backseat to everyone else's needs. But the thing is, Mommas, if our cup is empty, how can we fill the cups of others?
Do you immediately think "DIET" when I mention health and wellness? Yuck. Most diets don't work because they are too restrictive, and are designed in such a way that one person in the family is eating completely differently from the rest of the family. That is incredibly time-consuming and doesn't allow for long-term success. What if I told you that I can help you AND your family with better fitness and wellness? That we can get everyone on the same page, so that everyone is more successful when it comes to changes in health. I have created a family wellness program that will help you and your entire family create simple heath habits that you can continue long term: Family Wellness-Simplified.
In this 4 week program, you will receive my weekly meal plan, complete with recipes, a grocery list, and video tutorials with cooking demonstrations. Each day you will work through my personalized workouts, and I will also share some fun exercises to get your kids moving! During the 4 weeks, you will be part of a support and accountability group, where I will provide daily education and tips for success. You will get the opportunity to interact with me and ask questions in 2 LIVE group trainings! And because this program is all about family wellness, I'll even provide snack and lunchbox ideas for your kiddos, and some video messages from my kids to yours.
I want you to be 100% satisfied with this program and your results, so I am offering a complete money back guaranteed if you're not completely thrilled with the changes you experience after 4 weeks of working with me! This takes the risk out of joining, so you can just focus on improving your health and fitness!
If you are ready to feel good in your own skin and AND bring your family along with you, click HERE now. I have limited space for this BRAND NEW program so that I can provide individual coaching to each of my clients, so don't wait to sign up! It's a new year, and a new you!!!
We are super proud of our results from Core de Force. My husband, Chris, joins me in this video this time to share his results and why he really enjoyed this cardio and kickboxing program. Chris lost 5 lbs. during this tricky holiday season and was still able to also enjoy some treats in moderation. I really loved the improvement I made with the program. I noticed my core getting stronger and my kicks getting higher. Although I generally enjoyed the program the only negative I have is that the workouts are longer than what I typically enjoy. Overall, we are very excited about our 30-day results and we are ready to go on vacation and show off our new muscles. Or, maybe we will just get a spray tan!
So, what's next? Anytime we finish a program, we always like to plan what next for us to keep our interests peaked and to keep our tone. Chris and I are creating a new program, Family Wellness: Simplified, that does not just focus on moms, but the entire family. I invite you to learn more about this program and how it can benefit you and your family in the new year!
Learn more about Family Wellness: Simplified, here!
Connect with me on Facebook!
Watch the video below too!
If you want to take advantage of this great deal, comment below with your email and I will get you set up!
Here are the pros of both:
What are your thoughts? Do you prefer to workout at the gym or your house? Tell me below in the comments!
There are several pro and con reasons on why home vs gym workouts work will work the best for you. I tend to do both, so I understand both. Listen to the video and let me know what your thoughts are, share them here or on Facebook.
I was a guest on Q 96 this morning. We talked all about the perfect gifts for the fitness fanatic in your life. Check out the video below and then comment here or go to Facebook and tell me what your must-have fitness gift is this holiday!
Busy mom are you struggling to find time to get your workout in? Everyone is busy so it is important to plan when you can squeeze your daily sweat session in your day. Watch the video for tips to build your willpower muscle. Don't forget to connect with me on Facebook!