Ground Turkey Stir Fry (High Carb Lunch/Dinner)
- 1 cup cashews, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Brown rice or quinoa, cooked
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the cashews. Toast for a few minutes until lightly browned. Make sure to stir often to prevent the nuts from burning. Remove and set aside.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook until browned.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and soy sauce.
- Add the peppers, carrots, and water chestnuts. Cook for about five minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and mix in toasted cashews before serving. Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
Mardi Gras Gumbo (Low Carb Lunch/Dinner)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 pound turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a six quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings. Add in chicken and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 - 6 hours. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15 - 30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
Sweet Potato Bites (Appetizer/Side)
- 3 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, cleaned
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush two baking sheet with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil each. With a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2- to 1/4-inch slices.
- Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheets. Brush tops of sweet potatoes with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown underneath (you may want to rotate pans of change their positions on the upper/lower racks halfway through).
- Remove pans from the oven, flip the slices over, and roast for an additional 8 - 11 minutes, until golden on top.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, lime juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and paprika. Mash lightly with a fork, leaving the mixture slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Transfer the sweet potato slices to a serving plate. Top each with a small scoop of the avocado mixture, chopped bacon, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars (Breakfast/Dessert)
- 1 ½ cups oats (quick cooking are best)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9” square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed bananas and peanut butter together until combined. Add in the vanilla or almond extract, honey, and egg. Add the milk and stir until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator.