This month's recipes are from my BFF and health coach Monica Gagne! She is also the co-author of our cookbook, Sugar and Spice.
HIGH CARb: Sweet Potato and Bacon Turkey Burgers
1 cup ground, lean turkey
1 cup finely shredded sweet potato
6 strips turkey bacon
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Precook the turkey bacon and microwave the shredded sweet potato until slightly tender, but not mushy.
- Combine the ground turkey, cooked and chopped bacon, sweet potato, and seasonings into six patties.
- Cook on the grill, frying pan, or griddle until cooked through. You can also bake these in a muffin tin in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, making sure the bottoms do not burn.
- To serve, place on a bun and top with your favorite condiments. I suggest a drizzle of maple syrup or a chipotle mayo.
Makes 6 turkey burgers
High carb: Turkey Enchilada Casserole
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium onion
1 T minced garlic
2 cans (15 oz.) black beans drained and rinsed
1 jar (16 oz.) of salsa (no sugar added)
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1 can (14oz) Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 t each of onion powder, garlic powder, and ground cumin
12 corn tortillas (6 inch)
2 C shredded reduce fat cheddar cheese (I use less)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large skillet cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat until turkey is browned. Stir in beans, salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 min.
- Spread about one cup of the meat sauce into a 9 x 13 pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with 6 tortillas. Spread half of the remaining meat sauce, sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Layer the remaining tortillas and meat sauce and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
high carb: Crockpot Quinoa Chicken Chili
1 cup of quinoa (uncooked)
One (1) 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (you could use crushed)
One (1) 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
Two (2) 16 oz cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
One (1) 15 oz can of corn, drained
3 Cups chicken stock
3 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed (cook longer if frozen)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp chili powder
This has a nice little kick to it, but I didn’t think it was too spicy. If you’re nervous about spice, reduce the red pepper and the chili powder by half.
- Toss everything into slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-7 hours on high. I added frozen chicken breasts to mine and cooked on high for about six hours.
- Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
high carb: Mashed Sweet Potatoes
6 cups cubed sweet potatoes
1/3 cup honey (to taste)
1/2 cup full fat greek yogurt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- Cut and boil sweet potatoes (No need to peel them.) 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add honey, yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Manually mash with the blender until chunky.
- Blend on medium until creamy.
Low carb: Cucumbers and Tomatoes
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
TBS olive oil
TBS lemon juice
tsp garlic powder
tsp seat salt
3 cups diced cucumbers
1-2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
Whisk first 7 ingredients together. Toss with veggies.